Access to the extensive presentation slides by Phyllis D. Light, MA and Lori Rose, PhD.
1 year access to materials and Q&A during and after class
1 year to view and review content, ask questions and discuss with fellow students and teachers.
10 classes in the series
This totals out to 15 hours of in-depth teaching with Phyllis & Lori.
Do you want to…
- understand the basics of nutrition in order to make wise food choices?
- know how to read a food label?
- know how to use common nutritional supplements?
Did you know that…
- there is no one-size-fits-all optimal diet?
- choosing nourishing foods can be simple and easy?
- choosing nourishing foods is the foundation of health?
- providing your body with a good foundation of nutrients helps herbs work better?
Phyllis D. Light, MA, a fourth-generation herbalist and healer, has studied and worked with herbs, foods, movement, and other healing techniques for over 30 years. She has experience in both clinical and private settings including working in integrative medical clinics. Phyllis believes in the innate healing power of the body and wants to share information on how we can support this process. She is the author of Southern Folk Medicine, Healing Traditions from Appalachian Fields and Forests published by North Atlantic.
Lori Valentine Rose, PhD is a college biology, nutrition, herbal, and wellness instructor, a wife and mother, an organic vegetable, fruit, and medicinal herb gardener, and a passionate Zumba dancer! She loves spreading love and light, and helping others feel awesome on the inside and out so they can live their dreams and make this world more awesome!
This entry-level course is designed for people who want to know how to make wise food and supplement choices that optimally support their health.
What will you learn?
You will learn the basic chemistry and function of the 6 nutrient categories, as well as the uses of common nutritional supplements. You will learn how and why good nutrition is the foundation of health. You will also learn the health effects of nutrient deficiencies and excesses.
This course will cover:
- how to use nutrients and supplements as the foundation of your health,
- the structure and function of all 6 nutrient categories,
- the uses of common nutritional supplements,
- how to read food labels and choose the most healthful foods,
- and the consequences of nutrient deficiencies and excesses.
7:00 PM to 8:30 PM Central (Chicago)
(some classes may run longer)
- What is good/bad nutrition?
- Carbs - Wed. Jan 11, 2023
- Proteins - Mon. Jan. 23. 2023
- Lipids - Wed. Jan. 25, 2023
- Water Soluble Vitamins - Wed. Feb. 8, 2023
- Water Soluble Vitamins continued - Mon. Feb. 13, 2023
- Fat Soluble Vitamins - Mon. Feb. 20, 2023
- Major Minerals, Electrolytes, and Water - Wed. Feb. 22, 2023
- Trace Minerals - Mon. Feb. 27, 2023
- Supplements - Mon. March 6, 2023 (subject to change)
We use the online webinar service, Zoom. Webinar links are sent to enrolled students 2 days, 1 day, and 1 hour prior to class. See the simple instruction on how to attend on our HELP page.
The recording of the class will be available within 2 days of the webinar.
What is the class like?
Classes are held online in a webinar format. Students will view and hear only the teachers and hosts and can participate in the online chat and Q&A.
The class recording will be here within 2 days of the online class.
About this course
- 16 lessons
- 4 hours of video content
Start at any time! Complete the lessons at your own pace.
Certificates designed and signed by Matthew Wood are available for purchase to those who successfully complete all tests with a passing grade of 70% or better. More details regarding herbal course certificates are here.
Tests are multiple-choice, and multiple attempts are permitted.
If you are tracking hours, see the list of all classes/courses with corresponding accreditation hours.